Thursday, June 26, 2014

Day 3 - Work, Old Friends, and National Holidays!

It's officially Day 3 in Panajachel!

My first two days of work have been better than I could have imagined! I was pleased to find that Mayan Families provides their long term interns with Guatemalan cell phones to use during their stay. Work is 9-5 each day with an hour for lunch. I won't officially begin teaching until next week, but there's always something around the office to do. I even have my own desk now, name tag and all! 
(...Until the desk's original occupant Terry returns in a few weeks.)

After only one day of apartment shopping with another intern, I think we found a place, and it'll be ready as soon as the paint dries! I certainly will miss my current view, but I am excited stop living out of my suitcase...s.

Though it's rainy season, it hasn't rained very much at all since I arrived. Some people that I've talked to say they prefer the rain because without it it's getting rather hot, but I really don't mind the clear view of the volcanoes.

I've already met some old friends from our trip here in May. Our first and foremost shoe shine boy Samuel even shined my boots the other day. He caught me yesterday morning in a restaurant and recognized me as a girl from the group he met in May. We chatted for a while, and then I really couldn't refuse the shine since I actually was wearing shoes that could use it. He kept asking about mi papa, Kevin. I can't seem to convince him that I was travelling with my professor and other students, not my father and siblings. We seem an unlikely family in my opinion... then again we did manage to have a lot of fun together goofing off, as siblings do.

Samuel told me that he is twelve years old. He started working as a shoe shine boy four years ago, when he was eight, and he hasn't gone to school since then. He can't be more than five feet tall, most likely from poor childhood nutrition. But he loves to play soccer, and he and the other shoe shine boys play together whenever they can and when they have a ball. He told me today that I could be their goalie for only 10 Q (about $1.28). I may have to consider it. 10 Q would be worth it to see Samuel smile.

I must away; there's work to be done tomorrow! But after that I have a long weekend to look forward to. No work on Monday; it's a national holiday! Happy Army Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment