Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 23 - Los Basicos

Though I have been here for more than three weeks, I have experienced little to no culture shock. I have found that I don’t make many US-centric assumptions, and Guatemala has been meeting most of my expectations.

At least, that was true until last Thursday.

I had been teaching science classes in the preschool since the 30th of June. They were going rather successfully so the education director asked if I would teach one more class a week with the Basicos. 

“Basico” is a Spanish word meaning “primary” and was translated for me as “middle schoolers”. I naturally agreed and last Thursday marked my first class with them.

I was aware that they might be older than what I would expect for middle school in the United States. Because for so many students here going to school depends on sponsorship through Mayan Families, and there are many more children than sponsors, some students lose sponsors and have to take time off of school until another sponsor is found for them. Even students who don’t miss school may have to repeat grades because all classes Kindergarten and above are taught completely in Spanish and not their native Kaqchikel, Quiche, Tsusujil, etc. So I figured that these middle schoolers might be old. Circa 12 or so.

My youngest student on Thursday was 15. My oldest was close to 19. I was definitely taken aback that I was teaching “middle schoolers” not far in age from me.

So I had to do some on-the-spot upgrading of my lesson plans. Preschoolers can be captivated by floating objects and water bottles by for long periods of time, but it takes a little more effort to keep teenagers interested.

I decided that for future classes I would have to make separate lesson plans for my preschools and my teenagers. And tomorrow is Day Two with the Basicos. Time to test drive those new lesson plans.


Every day is something new. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment